This isn’t your grandma’s shredded beef recipe—or is it?! Bottom Round Roast slow-cooked in sweetness and served with a carrot-apple slaw.
- 1 beef Bottom Round Roast (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups diced granny smith apple
- Place beef Bottom Round Roast in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Combine whiskey, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is, fork-tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from sauce as needed. Return beef to slow cooker.
- To make the slaw: Combine remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mustard in large bowl. Add carrots and apples; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve beef with slaw.
Alternate Cooking Method
- This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Place beef Bottom Round Roast in pressure cooker; add 1/2 cup beef broth. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 90 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Shred beef; return to pressure cooker. Combine cooking liquid, whiskey, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper in small saucepan. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes until desired consistency is reached. Combine sauce and shredded beef. Continue as directed in Step 3. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.)